Pain can happen due to a variety of reasons. It might be because of a bruise, ache, fracture, cramp or because of some diseases like arthritis, migraine, etc. Another type of pain is neuropathic pain (nerve pain), which is severe than most of the other types of pain. It causes chronic pain in patients, and unfortunately, there is no cure available for this condition. People with this type of pain usually control it using some therapies that can be effective for reducing the pain.
CBD is one of such elements that might be able to provide relief for the victims of this condition. It is indicated by some studies that CBD might be able to control neuropathic pain. Hence, the use of CBD for neuropathy is increasing.
What Is Neuropathy?
Neuropathic pain happens as a result of damaged, dysfunctional or irritated nerves sending mixed signals to the brain and other systems in your body. Some of the common symptoms of neuropathy include:
- Paresthesia, which is the prickly, tingling or numbing sensations you may feel in extremities such as your hands.
- Allodynia that can be referred to over sensitivity to different stimulations which can lead to distorted or intense experience of touch.
- Muscle wasting and weakness, organ dysfunction, burning, nocturnal pain, and/or paralysis.
- Problems with digestion, urination, sweating, etc. that is caused by the damage of nerves that supply signals to internal organs.
The Causes Of Neuropathy
Neuropathic pain can result from a variety of factors. Some nerve pains can occur because of genetic disorders, whereas most of them have other reasons. The common reasons for neuropathic pain include:
- Traumatic injury
- Repeated stress
- Autoimmune diseases
- Metabolic and endocrine disorders
- Vasculitis(inflammation of blood vessels)
- Cancer tumors
CBD For Neuropathy
Studies conducted for finding out the effectiveness of CBD for nerve pain showed promising results. It suggested that CBD might be able to control neuropathic pain effectively. However, the mechanism with which CBD reduces nerve pain still remains unrevealed.
Researchers suggest that CBD might be able to work indirectly for controlling the pain by running interference on different factors that contribute to pain. For example, CBD can prevent the body from absorbing anandamide, which is a compound that plays a significant role in controlling the pain. Hence, there will be more anandamide to circulate, which can help in pain control.
CBD can also reduce inflammation, swelling, autoimmune responses, etc. which are factors that can contribute to nerve pain. Hence, this compound can indirectly reduce neuropathic pain by controlling different factors that can contribute to the pain.